Thursday, September 11, 2008

Barefoot and Pregnant

Well, I finally know where the phrase "barefoot and pregnant" came from.  It doesn't only apply to us Kentuckians, or even those from West Virginia... although I know that's the stereotype.  
I am officially barefoot and pregnant -- and that's the only way I'm comfortable.

My feet have swollen to the size of small melons.  Nothing is comfortable on my feet... even my most comfortable shoes leave marks where any straps touch my skin.  

Yesterday, I walked to grab lunch in (what used to be very comfortable) flats.  They started to hurt about halfway through the walk.  By the time I got back to my desk, I had to kick them off and prop my feet up under my workstation.  Unfortunately, the time came for me to walk to the printer.  I went to slip my feet back in the flats... and whoa! they wouldn't fit.  I debated walking over in my bare feet, but I knew it would be entirely too cliche to do so.  So I squeezed my club feet into my shrinking shoes and waddled over to the printer.  You should have seen me walk to my car.  I can't imagine labor can be much more painful than that (okay, just kidding...)

So, yes, I'm officially barefoot and pregnant.  I am a classic Kentuckian.  And proud of it.  Because here at home, writing on my computer, I can spread my fat toes.  But tomorrow, I'm going to have to buy some bigger shoes.


2 comments:

G-Mamma Jane said...

You get the swelling honestly. I ended up having to stop working three weeks before you were born because my legs and ankles were swelling so enormously due to sitting with my legs down all day at my desk.

For those who haven't seen Kelsey lately, I must tell you, she is a beautiful, glowing, pregnant pre-Momma. I don't think I've ever seen her happier and more content. (I know, Chris, you wonder about that when she bursts into tears over a tiny mouse, but that's just part of it!)

Sharon and I were just talking about how we can't wait to get our gnarly, g-ma hands on our sweet little granddaughter. I think I can guarantee you will NEVER lack for babysitters!

Unknown said...

Tell me about it!! The swelling is miserable!! At least you can still wear your rings. You can't even see the bones in my wrist or ankles anymore...My how times have changed!! Did you ever think we would be having these conversations!! I love it though!:)